You may have noticed that you have problems biting, chewing or eating; or that your teeth do not seem to come together properly when you bite. There are a number of bite problems that lead to either biting or chewing issues, or they result in excessive wear and tear of the teeth or inability of the jaw joints to function in an ideal fashion.Book an appointment
Examples of bite problems include:
- Increased overjet: when the upper front teeth protrude excessively
- Deep overbite: excessive vertical overlap of the front teeth when the back teeth are shut together
- Open bite: the inability of the teeth to meet and touch each other when the mouth is shut
- Crossbite: when the lower teeth fit on the outside of the upper teeth
- Underbite: when the lower front teeth bite edge-to-edge with or in front of the upper front teeth
- Mismatched dental centre lines or an asymmetric bite
- Cusp-to-cusp bite: when upper and lower teeth fit right on top of each other rather than between each other
Why should bite issues be corrected?
Bite issues are pretty common, and not all will require orthodontic treatment. However, in cases where the problem is moderate or severe, bite issues should be dealt with as soon as possible to prevent further issues from occurring later on in life. Bite correction in London can help to align your teeth, as well as prevent problems such as the following from happening:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Crowded or shifting teeth
- Uneven wear and tear to your teeth
- Headaches, jaw pain, clicking, popping and deterioration of the jaw
- Periodontal disease, including gum recession or bone loss
- Issues with speaking, eating or chewing
- Impact on self-confidence
Overbite correction in London using orthodontics can realign both the teeth and the jaw, and fix overcrowding problems as well. However, it’s worth noting that depending on the issue, in some cases some teeth may need to be removed in order for your braces to have the desired effect.
Your dentist will be able to advise you on what sort of braces are best to suit your bite issues, and what to expect from your treatment.
Rest assured that here at Elite Orthodontics we have many ways of addressing such bite issues with comfortable inconspicuous braces which aim to deliver not only an amazing smile, but good function and optimal dental health.
Contact us for more information.