Helping with Anxiety
As with any other treatment, there are various types of concerns that can arise when considering orthodontic treatment. There could be social anxiety or anxiety-related to the treatment process itself.
We understand that there can be a certain level of social anxiety that arises from either having or not having treatment. We would like to reassure you that we understand the various sensitivities that surround orthodontic treatment. For this reason we provide as much support as possible to provide treatment that is quick, efficient and effective.
Examples of these pressures could be:
- Social pressure of getting braces at the same time as others. For instance it feels normal to have braces as a teenager but not so normal as an adult.
- In some circumstances children fear being teased for having braces.
- Having missing teeth or delayed eruption of teeth can have aesthetic implications that affect the self-confidence of the patient no matter how young or old. In some cases, we can do collaborative treatments with a restorative dentist to help matters during the interim orthodontic phase.
This incorporates concerns people feel about the treatment or fears of potential discomfort from the orthodontic braces.
The many aspects in which we provide support and reassurance includes:
- We help to alleviate these by firstly having a friendly environment and team that helps to make our patients feel comfortable.
- We have plenty of time during the appointments so as not to make our patients feel rushed at any moment. Every thing is done at your convenience.
- Patients can often feel anxiety from not fully understanding what the end result of the treatment will look like. We have many case studies of past treatments that we have done and we will be able to show various “before and after” pictures to reassure of results.
- We also have a very good support system whereby we have a good facility for emergency appointments if they are needed. This is very reassuring to those that fear they may experience pain during treatment.
- Some patients have a fear of anticipated pain. We would like to reassure you that orthodontic treatment is not painful. There is only a slight discomfort during the initial adjustment phase when the braces are first fitted on but this usually dissipates after the first few days of getting used to wearing braces. See Do Braces Hurt?
- It is also normal to fear potential problems that may arise. We have experience of all potential issues that can arise. See What problems could there be?
Your Orthodontic Consultation
We will be able to discuss at length any concerns that you may have. We can reassure you of all your anxieties and fears at this early stage before we begin any treatment. We will talk you through everything you should expect from the treatment and after it.
Considered Treatment Planning
We take advantage of the latest technological advances conscientiously so as to help make the treatment as comfortable as possible. Hence, right from the start of the treatment Dr Sarah Good and Dr Pourghadiri will select the most comfortable and gentle treatment components during their Treatment Planning, to ensure that very light pressure is always applied to the teeth minimizing any potential discomfort. For example, they use the latest miniature orthodontic braces, advanced clinical techniques and state-of-the-art wire technology.
You will also be able to contact us at any time should you need to.
We want your Patient Experience and Journey to be excellent and hence would like to reassure you of our best attention at all times.