Can Adults have Braces?
Yes, they definitely can!
Most adults who straighten their teeth do so because they feel their smile is a very important feature of their facial appearance, and they wish to improve their smile to feel happier about their looks and enhance their self-esteem. Studies have now proven the importance of the facial appearance (of which the smile is a huge contributing factor) in enhancing many social and professional situations.
Reasons why adults seek orthodontic treatment to straighten their teeth:
- To improve confidence in their smiles and thus enhance self-esteem and psychological well-being.
- To improve their bite and to make chewing more comfortable.
- To help with good oral hygiene. Straighter teeth are easier to look after than crooked overcrowded teeth.
- Some adults have orthodontic treatment as part of an overall comprehensive dental treatment plan in conjunction with other specialist treatment such as veneers.
Reasons why an adult may not have had the opportunity to have orthodontic treatment when younger:
- Some people’s parents may have been oblivious to their orthodontic problems.
- Parents may have simply been unaware of the power of treatment to correct bite problems.
- The necessary finances might not have been placed previously.
- There may have been limited provision of orthodontics in the area where they lived as a child.
- It is also true that there may not have been the solutions at that time available in orthodontics that is available today.
- Some people have had braces before, but their teeth have moved as a result of relapse or sub-standard treatment.
If you are an adult and are unhappy about your smile we can help you to get that confident smile! In many cases thanks to modern innovative orthodontic solutions, treatment are often simple and teeth can be perfectly aligned with a relatively short course of treatment, with braces that are very inconspicuous or even invisible.
Book Appointment Patient Journey
Next: Do Braces Hurt?