Why do adults seek orthodontic treatment?
Most adults who straighten their teeth do so because they feel their smile is the most important feature of their facial appearance, and they wish to improve their smile to feel happier about their looks and enhance their self-esteem. Studies have now proven the importance of the facial appearance (of which the smile is a huge contributing factor) in enhancing many social and professional situations.
Reasons why adults seek orthodontic treatment to straighten their teeth:
- To improve confidence about their smiles and thus enhance self-esteem and psychological well-being.
- To improve their bite and to make chewing more comfortable.
- To help with good oral hygiene. Straighter teeth are easier to look after than crooked overcrowded teeth.
- Some adults have orthodontic treatment as part of an overall comprehensive dental treatment plan in conjunction with other specialist treatment to improve dental function and aesthetics. Treatment may involve things like gum therapy, veneers, crown and bridgework or implants. However, if combined with orthodontics, these treatments can provide much superior outcomes.
- A popular combination treatment is with smile makeovers. Adults opt for orthodontic treatment to straighten their teeth first and then have ultra-thin veneers placed on top of straightened teeth. This minimizes excessive tooth cutting and provides a far superior conservative approach to cosmetic smile enhancement.
There are lots of reasons why an adult may not have had the opportunity to have orthodontic treatment when younger:
- Some people’s parents may have been oblivious to their orthodontic problems.
- Parents may have simply been unaware of the power of treatment to correct bite problems.
- The necessary finances might not have been place previously.
- There may have been limited provision of orthodontics in the area where they lived as a youngster.
- It is also true that there may not have been the solutions at that time available in orthodontics that are available today.
- Teeth could not be straightened fully with the techniques that were available years ago and some adults may now wish to have perfectly straight teeth.
- Some people have had braces when young with a good result, but then teeth have moved over the years.
- Teeth may have become irregular as an adult since orthodontic treatment done when younger may not have been carried out to an adequate standard.
- As an adult, a person may now have dental problems with their teeth and gums and orthodontics is a treatment solution that forms part of the overall comprehensive Treatment plan.
- A person may also just be unhappy with the irregularity of their teeth and wish to have a more pleasing smile.
If you are an adult and are unhappy about your smile we can help you to get that confident smile! In many cases thanks to modern innovative orthodontic solutions, treatment are often simple and teeth can be perfectly aligned with a relatively short course of treatment.