This is the most popular type of orthodontic treatment – also commonly known as “train tracks.”
Fixed braces are one of the best effective treatments for misaligned teeth, and help you achieve that perfect smile.
A fixed brace consists of various components that are all connected and work together to ensure the teeth move at the desired speed, and develop into the desired smile.
The exact process of motion will have been pre-planned to create the perfect alignment of teeth.
You will be involved in this process during your initial consultation, and therefore have the chance to communicate to your orthodontist your personal desires regarding your smile.
See also: Lingual Braces | Removable Braces | Stainless Steel Fixed Braces
- Brackets are small precisely designed buttons that are stuck/bonded to each tooth.
- They can be made of different materials depending on what type of movement and speed of the movement is required.
- One way of looking at brackets is to see them as a handle that is able to precisely control the movement of each individual tooth.
- The brackets are highly sophisticated and design engineered to achieve the correct position and angle of axis for every individual tooth.
- Sometimes, a small ring called a “band” is fitted around the molar or back teeth.
- They are used to secure the rest of the brace and allow the intensity of movements required.
- The brackets are then connected to each other with thin wires, also known as “archwire.”
- In the early parts of the treatment especially when the teeth are also up and down and misaligned, this archwire will also appear to be fitted up and down in correlation with each tooth. Once the treatment begins to work, then this will be seen to level out.
- Small elastic rings called “modules” are used to then hold the wires securely to each bracket; sometimes, thinner wires are also used called “ligatures.”
Regular appointments are needed so that the wires can be adjusted at specific intervals to slowly re-align the teeth and correct the bite.
Main benefits of a fixed brace:
- Precise control of movement.
- The appliance is fixed to your teeth and in the orthodontist’s control so you don’t have to worry about doing anything.
- No plastic in the roof of the mouth, hence speech is not affected and flavours of food and drink can be enjoyed fully.
- Since the appliance is fixed and cannot be removed it is in a constant active state and hence the most effective.
There are now many variations of braces on the market, along with the options we provide.
At Elite Orthodontists we offer many other teeth correcting treatments too including:
- Tooth-coloured, clear or ceramic braces
- Lingual braces or hidden braces (on the inside of the teeth)
- Removable braces
Your orthodontist will discuss the best options with you during your consultation.
Next: Functional Braces