How are Braces Fitted?
Clear Aligners or Invisalign
- These are made from colourless soft plastic and are removable
- They are made from digital scans of teeth
- They simply fit over the teeth like a sports mouthguard, or gumshield, or tooth-whitening tray
- A removable brace consists of a plastic base and custom-made metal wire components. Some of these wires are designed to keep the brace secured to the teeth.
- They are made either from impressions (moulds) or digital scans of teeth.
- It simply clips onto the teeth, and can be easily fitted or removed. Its insertion or removal does not cause any pain.
- Fitting a fixed brace does not hurt.
- Depending on your treatment, a fixed brace can be fitted either in a single appointment or over several appointments.
- Before a brace is fitted, your teeth are cleaned and conditioned.
- Most of the fixed brace consists of several brackets. These are little square-shaped metal or tooth-coloured ceramic buttons which are just glued to the teeth.
- The fitting of a fixed brace is completed by connecting the brackets with a thin piece of wire called archwire that is held in place using small elastics called modules. These can come in different colours to make the wearing of your brace more fun.