Helping with Anxiety
As with any other dental treatment, there are concerns that can arise when considering orthodontic treatment. There could be social anxiety or anxiety related to the treatment process itself. We strive to provide as much support as possible to our patients before and during the treatment process; and it is our aim to provide therapies that are discreet, fast and effective.
We appreciate that there can be a certain level of social anxiety and sensitivity that could result from either having or not having orthodontics. For example:
- Social pressure of getting braces at the same time as one’s peers. It feels normal to have braces as a teenager but not so normal as an adult.
- In some circumstances children fear being teased for having braces.
- Having missing teeth or delayed eruption of teeth can have aesthetic implications that affect the self-confidence of the patient no matter how young or old.
At Elite Orthodontics, all of these issues are borne in mind.
See also: When Should Treatment Start? | Adult Orthodontics | Do Braces Hurt? | Invisible Orthodontics
This relates to the treatment itself or fears of potential discomfort from the orthodontic braces. The many aspects in which we provide support and reassurance include:
- We have created a friendly environment and team to make our patients feel at ease.
- We have plenty of time during the appointments so as not to make our patients feel rushed at any moment.
- Patients can often feel anxiety from not fully understanding what the end result of the treatment will look like. We have many case studies of past treatments that we have completed, and we will be able to show various “before and after” pictures to illustrate the probable outcome.
- We offer a wide variety of discreet almost invisible orthodontic treatment solutions for people who prefer not to advertise their treatment.
- We have a very good support system whereby we have a good facility for emergency appointments if they are needed. This is very reassuring to those that fear they may experience discomfort during treatment.
- Some patients have a fear of anticipated pain. We would like to reassure you that orthodontic treatment is not painful. There is only a slight discomfort during the initial adjustment phase when the braces are first fitted on but this usually dissipates after the first few days of getting used to wearing braces. See: Do Braces Hurt?
- It is also normal to fear potential problems that may arise. We have experience of all potential issues that can arise and are equipped and keen to prevent them, or deal with them appropriately. See: What problems could there be?
- We are approachable, easy to contact, and quick to respond.
Your Orthodontic Consultation
We will be able to discuss at length any concerns that you may have. We can reassure you of all your anxieties and fears at this early stage before we begin any treatment. We will talk you through everything you should expect from the treatment and after it.
We take all your concerns and worries into consideration as we really want your experience and journey to be a happy one!
Get in touch